Sunday, October 16, 2011

Handmade(Pulled) Ban Mian. Seletar #01-05 @ Toa Payoh Lorong 8 Hawker Centre.

I think dad's probably the real foodie in the family. He decided that he -had- to go to Toa Payoh to check out the newly renovated Lorong 8 Market and Hawker Centre. I wasn't planning on eating since I just had my dental visit. But then, I got away unscathed. :p That's stories for another day. I decided to reward my bravery for making it through yet another dental visit. Not really. 


It's just that I saw a queue at this particular stall- Seletar Sheng Mian and Mee Hoon Kueh. So when I got here so I knew I had to queue too. -deadpans- So the real reason is...
I was just hungry. Not really that too. And this has gone far enough.


I spied this! This tray of dough that is gathered up, stretched it, slapped back down and a pair of scissors is used to cut up a small corner of it before it's torn into varying sizes and thrown into a pot of bubbling liquid. :) Oh and THAT has to be the real reason why I gave into this bowl of old school mee hoon kueh.

Let me offer you more reasons. Case in point -points at prawns- For $2.50, you get two prawns, not just minced pork but lean pork too, egg and the works of fried shallots and fried anchovies. And the best part? Spinach. And of course, the name itself is a misnomer. You order ban mian but you get mee hoon kueh anyway. :) These dough pieces come in characteristically torn pieces of varying sizes with a lot of bite! All that stretching, pulling and slapping translated it to a good jaw workout. The ones that came before me made orders for the sheng mian which looked good too. And of course there was a dried version. I saw the mix. It's dried chilli flakes in deep red oil and LARD oil. Topped off with a generous squeeze of thick dark soy sauce. I'm not sure if it's the sweet or savoury variety. It was an inviting mess when mixed up though. Hmm. Indulge a little. Sometimes.

I just wanted to try the original soup version that day. The soup was flavourful. Much too flavourful, it might've been seasoning though. Well, we'll be back for the other versions for sure.

And I love this. Not that I love to eat things that fail in the looks/ presentations department. But only at the heartland bakeries do you find these packets of cake ends. <3 There's durian, pandan, original and chocolate swiss roll ends in there.
It's always an assortment and always a yummy mess. Just eat up! A perfect ending for an old school day. 

No one said terrible looking food must taste terrible. It's not all about looks. Let's not be that shallow eh? I'm sure I can find someone who enjoys eating cake ends like I do? :) 

No comments: