Monday, August 29, 2011

braised beehoon

For the longest time, my grandma never soaked her beehoon. She just blanches it with hot water before frying it. That's her. And that's fried beehoon.
And then there's me. I soak it in room temperature water for 10-15 minutes. In that time,
I fry some minced garlic till fragrant, add in pork trotters or braised pork ribs, a couple of tablespoons of mushroom/ oyster sauce, a tablespoon of dark soya sauce and a dash of sesame oil. It's hard to put in exact measurements for Chinese cooking. It's been a long legacy of beehoon frying. ;)

 Only then, do I amass my soaked beehoon and very happily throw it into the braising sauce :)

And in that braising sauce, the beehoon is loosened and bathed in all that glorious flavourful liquid.

Like this! :) And no it still doesnt look very nice I know.

 So colour it up with some chopped carrots and cabbage prefried with just a dash of soya sauce. Cabbages produce some liquid when frying. It's easily substituted with chinese kale, spinach, beansprouts. Whatever veggies you'll be inclined to ingest for a healthy digestive system :) Keep frying it till all the liquid goodness has been absorbed by the once lacklustre beehoon.

And there you go with a less fuss, less mess, healthier choice one wok meal! :) 

And just because I felt like making it more pretty- a cherry tomato flower. Slice it just before it goes all the way through to create some petals and open it up.

Eat up! :D

No comments: