- 1 kg white radish, grated (reserve water)
- 50g red carrots, grated (reserve water)
- 150g rice flour
- 50g corn starch
- 1 Chinese sausages, removed from casing and diced
- 8 pcs dried black mushroom, soaked and diced (reserve water)
- 1 piece of dried cuttlefish, soaked and cut into bitesized strips
- 30g dried shrimps, soaked (reserve water)
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- Marinate the black mushroom, cuttlefish and shrimps with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp wine and a small pinch of sugar.
- Combine the corn starch and rice flour with 21/2 rice bowls of water including reserve water from the radish, carrot, black mushroom, scallops and shrimp, soaking the mushrooms and cuttlefish. Stir and mix well to form a smooth batter.
- With 3 tablespoons of oil, sauté shallots till fragrant with chopped sausages then add in shrimps, mushrooms and scallops. Toss in grated radish and carrots, add 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp ground white pepper and 1 tbsp oil before stirring well. Toss it well to mix and keep frying till the liquid appears from the radish and carrot strips.
- Turn to low heat, slowly stir in flour mixture into the turnips. Turn and mix well until it forms a sticky dough.
- Grease dish for steaming. Transfer the batter into the pan and over high heat for about 40 minutes.
Leave to cool and cut into slices to be pan fried. Or steamed and garnished with parsley, spring onions and chopped
Recipe adapted from : http://www.tastehongkong.com/recipes/featured/turnip-or-radish-cake-with-chinese-sausages/
I substituted cuttlefish for scallops. It tasted good too but I'll probably stick with scallops in future :)
Have adjusted the sugar because I used red carrots for natural sweetness.
I'll probably try it with just white radish in future to try and recreate the ones served at dim sum restaurants!