Monday, November 03, 2014

Paprika & Cumin @ Chijmes

This is a Pan-European Mediterranean gastropub with a bar counter boasting more than 200 wine labels and cocktails.
And what's to do for a non-alcoholic like I?
We eat.
Fill up the tummy, I shall!

''
Bruschetta

As I worriedly held onto the bruschetta, I wondered how much of the crisp baguette I could take.
And it was love, and ease at first bite.
I've got tooth issues and they don't do well with anything too hard.
So it was a huge relief to bite into only a crisp exterior and a soft interior.
The minced garlic and diced tomatoes were a delightful burst of refreshing flavour.
Simple.
But a winner in every way.



Tournedos Rossini

Foie gras balancing precariously atop a thick slice of beef.
I'm nary a fan of this. Those images of violence too cruel for me to enjoy this.
So I tried a small piece of foie gras which was pan fried to a delicate crisp. 
The liver melted immediately in my mouth.
Mmm.
Taking my first cut into the thick piece of beef, I was presently surprised to see that it was wrapped with a piece of bacon.
Keeping all the juices of the beef locked within.
This was a medium well order with a slightly pinkish hue in the interior.
The beef was full on flavour.
I was full but I could hardly pass up a dish of red meat just like that!



Chilean Sea Bass

A substantial chunk of sea bass arrived on a platter of happy summer colours.
Thick flaky pieces of fish fell apart just with the use of a fork.
This was a brilliant departure from the rich taste of the red meat.
But taken on its own, could be a little bland for some.
The sweet potato patty on the bottom would've been better if there was the addition of some crab meat for an added dimension to taste.
Perhaps a little more sauce to be served on the side as well?
It does get a little too dry with all the pan crusted fried items on this plate, as a matter of personal opinion.



Apple Filo Pastry with Vanilla Ice Cream

Now this.
Was a paradoxical surprise waiting to be unwrapped.
Altogether hot and cold.
Sweet and salty.
Crisp and moist.
This was my idea of a perfect end to a delicious meal.
I was expecting diced apple pieces alike those in the apple pies from McD's
But in that parcel?
It was a whole apple cored and held together a deliciously creamy cinnamon filling.
Eaten with the crisp warm filo pastry outside and topped with a nib of cold vanilla ice cream.
Aaaahhh.

I'd be back for this.
Just because,
An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Right? :)

<3 nbsp="" p="">

No comments: